July 7th, 2021
This special edition of The Mahler Hour kicks off our second season of the show and celebrates Mahler’s 161st birthday!
We will be streaming live from Steinbach am Attersee, where Mahler finished his Second and Third Symphonies and a half dozen songs.
Here is what awaits you:
– A tour of the breathtaking landscape that helped inspire these works,
– A live visit to the composing hut Mahler had built on the shore of Lake Attersee and that is visited by hundreds of people annually,
– Interviews with some of the artists who will be performing at the upcoming Gustav Mahler Festival in Steinbach from July 8 to 11, 2021,
– A discussion of the 2-piano arrangement of the Second Symphony that Mahler performed in a private gathering at Attersee in the summer of 1896 and that will be performed this year on July 10,
– A preview of next year’s festival.
We will also tell you about other summer Mahler festivals and invite you to come next year, in 2022, for a tour of all three of Mahler’s composing huts.
Hosted by Morten Solvik.