- Profession: Mahlers Banker.
- Residences: Vienna.
- Relation to Mahler: Friend.
- Correspondence with Mahler: Yes.
- 00-00-0000, Year
- Born: 07-07-1860 Vienna, Austria.
- Died: 24-06-1933 Vienna, Austria. Aged 73.
- Buried: 27-06-1933, Vienna, Austria. Cremation.
Autograph working manuscripts by Mahler are becoming rare at auction. We have not seen any sketchleaf by Mahler at auction for five years.
The victory at the end of Mahler’s Second Symphony is hard-won and this manuscript shows the complicated processes to achieve this. The sketchleaf contains drafts of many famous passages, not least the “O glaube” section, with its searching melody and harmonies; and the uplifting string passages which precede the “Auferstehen” passages.
A letter from Alma Mahler about this manuscript is included in the lot, presenting it to Margarethe, eldest daughter of Mahler’s friend, the banker Dr Paul Hammerschlag, on the occasion of her wedding. It was later at one time in the possession of the pianist Martin Isepp.
Paul Hammerschlag (1860-1933) obituary.