- 2,500 seats.
- Ringstrasse No. 1.
- Also: K.K. Hof-Operntheater, Hof Opern, Hofoper, Wiener Staatsoper, VSO.
- 12-03-1945 Fire.
- 05-11-1955 Re-opening.
- Year 1897. 08-10-1897.
- Year 1898.
- Year 1899.
- Year 1900.
- Year 1901.
- Year 1902.
- Year 1903.
- Year 1904.
- Year 1905.
- Year 1906.
- Year 1907. 01-12-1907.
- Vienna State Opera Ensemble.
- Vienna State Opera Orchestra.
- Vienna State Opera Repertoire Gustav Mahler.
- Stage designers.
The Vienna State Opera is an opera house (and opera company) with a history dating back to the mid-19th century. It is located in the centre of Vienna, Austria. It was originally called the Vienna Court Opera (Wiener Hofoper). In 1920, with the replacement of the Habsburg Monarchy by the First Republic of Austria, it was renamed the Vienna State Opera. The members of the Vienna Philharmonic are recruited from its orchestra.
The opera house was the first major building on the Vienna Ringstraße commissioned by the Viennese “city expansion fund”. Work commenced on the house in 1861 and was completed in 1869, following plans drawn up by architects August Sicard von Sicardsburg and Eduard van der Nüll. It was built in the Neo-Renaissance style by the renowned Czech architect and contractor Josef Hlavka.
The Ministry of the Interior had commissioned a number of reports into the availability of certain building materials, with the result that stones long not seen in Vienna were used, such as Wöllersdorfer Stein, for plinths and free-standing, simply-divided buttresses, the famously hard stone from Kaisersteinbruch, whose colour was more appropriate than that of Kelheimerstein, for more lushly decorated parts. The somewhat coarser-grained Kelheimerstein (also known as Solnhof Plattenstein) was intended as the main stone to be used in the building of the opera house, but the necessary quantity was not deliverable. Breitenbrunner stone was suggested as a substitute for the Kelheimer stone, and stone from Jois was used as a cheaper alternative to the Kaiserstein. The staircases were constructed from polished Kaiserstein, while most of the rest of the interior was decorated with varieties of marble.
The decision was made to use dimension stone for the exterior of the building. Due to the monumental demand for stone, stone from Sóskút, widely used in Budapest, was also used. Three Viennese masonry companies were employed to supply enough masonry labour: Eduard Hauser (still in existence today), Anton Wasserburger and Moritz Pranter. The foundation stone was laid on 20 May 1863.
The building was, however, not very popular with the public. On the one hand, it did not seem as grand as the Heinrichshof, a private residence which was destroyed in World War II (and replaced in 1955 by the Opernringhof). Moreover because the level of Ringstraße was raised by a metre in front of the opera house after its construction had begun, the latter was likened to “a sunken treasure chest” and, in analogy to the military disaster of 1866 (the Battle of Königgrätz), was deprecatingly referred to as “the ‘Königgrätz’ of architecture”. Eduard van der Nüll committed suicide, and barely ten weeks later Sicardsburg died from tuberculosis so neither architect saw the completion of the building. The opening premiere was Don Giovanni, by Mozart, on 25-05-1869. Emperor Franz Josef and Empress Elisabeth (Sissi) were present.
Gustav Mahler was one of the many conductors who have worked in Vienna. During his tenure (1897-1907), Mahler cultivated a new generation of singers, such as Anna Bahr-Mildenburg and Selma Kurz, and recruited a stage designer who replaced the lavish historical stage decors with sparse stage scenery corresponding to modernistic, Jugendstil tastes. Mahler also introduced the practice of dimming the lighting in the theatre during performances, which was initially not appreciated by the audience. However, Mahler’s reforms were maintained by his successors.
- Buste by Auguste Rodin (1840-1917). Sculpture.
- Buste by Anna Justine Mahler (Gucki) (1904-1988).
- Travel piano. Instruments.
“Dignitaries leaving the opera, Vienna” – 1900, Robert Schiff
Vienna State Opera. Original.