- Year 1899.
- 19-02-1899 Banquet (Mittagmahl) of the Gesellschaft der Autoren, Componisten und Musikverleger.
- Signature Gustav Mahler (1860-1911).
- After the performance of 1899 Concert Vienna 19-02-1899.
19-02-1899. Menu banquet Gesellschaft der Autoren, Componisten und Musikverleger in Restaurant Meissl und Schaden.
- Siegfried Wagner (1869-1930).
- Karl Goldmark (1830-1915).
- Engelbert Humperdinck (1854-1921).
- Wilhelm Kienzl (1857-1941).
- Gustav Mahler (1860-1911).
- Justine (Ernestine) Rose-Mahler (1868-1938).
- Karl Prill (1864-1931).
- Arnold Josef Rose (1863-1946).
- Left: Carl Weinberger (1861-1939).
- Right: Max Josef Beer (1851-1908).
- Right: Anton Ruckauf (1855-1903).
19-02-1899. Menu banquet Gesellschaft der Autoren, Componisten und Musikverleger in Restaurant Meissl und Schaden. (menu, menu-card, menu card, Schadn.)
Hotel Meissl und Schadn.
Address: Wien I, Neuer Markt No. 2.
Hotel Meissl & Schadn (also written by Meißl & Schadn) was a well-known hotel on Neuer Markt 2 (the back is on Kärntner Straße 16) in Vienna’s 1st district of Innere Stadt. The origins of the company date back to the middle of the 17th century. At that time, it carried the name “Zum blaue Hirsch”. In 1852, it acquired the Viennese restaurant cooperative (“by means of the bourgeois wine and restaurant owners of Vienna”), which had its seat there until 1892.
The hotel was rebuilt in 1894-1896 by Karl Hofmeier (1858-1934) in Neo-Gothic-Germanic style and replaced the old building. The façade facing Kärntner Straße was decorated with mosaics by Eduard Veith, representing the five parts of the world. The attached hotel restaurant described contemporaries as “mecca of the beef eaters”. Known guest in the hotel was the composer Edvard Grieg (1843-1907) who probably stayed here in 1865, 1869 and 1896.
The building burned down in 1945 during the Second World War. The side to Kärntner Straße with the still existing mosaic was more heavily damaged than the side to the Neuer Markt, but not demolished, but modernized. The Neuer Markt side was replaced by the new Europa Hotel.
Mosaic Restaurant Meissl und Schaden, Kartner strasse No. 16 (back side of the hotel).
Since September 27, 2017, there is again a restaurant of the same name, which opened at Schubertring 12.