Mahler Green Composer
Gustav Mahler: A green composer
'In Mahler’s time, although industrialisation was in full swing, there was not yet a tangible threat to nature. Nevertheless, Mahler was highly aware of the value of nature. He wrote extensively on the subject, stating that the human spirit is dependent on its environment and that if ecosystems break down, our species will vanish as well. This idea has only become more relevant in the twenty-first century, and makes Mahler’s music and ideas more topical than ever.’
- Hits: 15
Orchestra Of The Earth
On the last Sunday of the Mahler Festival (17-05-2020), the Mahler Festival spreads its wings to the pop temple Paradiso. For a concert by the Orchestra of the Earth, with music by Mahler, Knussen and Black, and a panel discussion about the importance of nature (conservation) in an increasingly industrializing society.
Mahler brings music and nature together. That is also the case with the Orchestra for the Earth. Sustainability and protecting the environment is the purpose of this young orchestra. They for instance plant a tree for every ticket sold. In the closing weekend of the Mahler Festival 2020, the Orchestra for the Earth plays a contemporary repertoire. They'll also play a special, personal version of Mahler's Symphony No. 4.
- Knussen - Ophelia Dances
- Abrahamsen - Liebeslied
- Black - new composition (world premiere)
- Mahler - Symfonie No. 4 (version for chamber orchestra)
- Orchestra of the Earth
- Conductor: John Warren
- Mezzo-soprano: Gabriella Noble
Date and time
- Sunday 17-05-2020. 13:30 to 15:00.
- Paradiso, Amsterdam. More about Paradiso at Amsterdam Royal Concertgebouw Forerunners.
- Pre-sales from 16-01-2020 at 10:00 through Paradiso.
This concert is sponsored by the Mahler Foundation.
- Hits: 57
Mahler World Map
World map with all the locations visited by Gustav Mahler. The map also contains other Gustav Mahler related locations such as the Mahler Societies and the Mahler Foundation.
Link to the Gustav Mahler world map.
- Hits: 84
Symphony No. 10 (1924)
- 13-12-2019 Hong Kong: Symphony No. 10 - Adagio and Purgatorio. Philharmonic Orchestra, Jaap van Zweden. First performance since 1924 of Willem Mengelberg’s performing version. Cultural Centre Concert Hall, World Premiere (Revision).
- 08-01-2020 Amsterdam: Symphony No. 10 - Adagio and Purgatorio. Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Jaap van Zweden. First performance since 1924 of Willem Mengelberg’s performing version.
More: History Symphony No. 10.
Photo: A part of the Gustav Mahler score of Symphony No. 10 (Movement 3).
- Hits: 186
New Mahler Foundation website
On January 1, 2020 the Mahler Foundation launched a new website on which all activities of the Mahler Foundation can be found as well as information about life and work of Gustav Mahler.
The address of the new website is https://mahlerfoundation.org.
This website replaces the old mahlerfoundation.org, mahlerfoundation.info, mahlerfoundation.net and mahlerfoundation.com and is multilingual.
Hints: bookmark the site, no 'www' needed.
- Hits: 190
More details were found of Gustav Mahlers baptismal ceremony in 1887 in Hamburg in the St. Michael's church small.
- Hits: 165
Mariss Jansons (1943-2019)
Mariss Jansons (1943-2019) died on Sunday 01-12-2019 in St. Petersburg, Russia.
- Hits: 119